MARY, THE MOTHER OF GOD
Did you know?
1. Today, the very first day of the New Year, we honor Mary as the THEOTOKOS, the Mother of God which is the greatest of all the Marian feasts.
2. Her motherhood defines her whole being: she is the mother of Jesus, the mother of the New Humanity, the mother of the Church and the mother of us all.
3. The motherhood of Mary to Jesus which started with the Annunciation reached its peak when she stood beneath the cross as she was called “woman” by Jesus in fulfilment of the Old Testament promise of the “woman” in Genesis 3:15. From that time on, Mary became the New Eve.
4. Mary who is the most distinguished member of the Church, is personified as the Icon of the Church, hence we also call her the "Mother of the Church". Consequently all those born in the Church by the virtue of baptism is also born of Mary, hence we also call her our own Mother.
5. Because Mary personifies the Virgin-Church (who is the "bride" of Christ), Mary remains a virgin and because the Church gives spiritual birth to all the children of God, Mary is also at the same time a Mother. This is the reason why we call her the Virgin Mother!
6. “Hear me and understand well, my son the least, that nothing should frighten or grieve you. Let not your heart be disturbed. Do not fear that sickness, nor any other sickness or anguish. Am I not here, who is your Mother? Are you not under my protection? Am I not your health? Are you not happily within my fold? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything." (the message of Our Lady of Guadalupe)
7. Let us entrust this New Year 2023 and ourselves unto Mary, the Mother of God.